A GREAT PLACE TO BE
The Cricketers pub in Shroton lies at the foot of Hambledon Hill – an Iron Age hill fort rising 600 feet above the village – giving the area a history dating as far back as the Neolithic period. The village itself was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 and in 1961 celebrated the 700th anniversary of its charter.
The parish church, St Mary’s, has a tower which was built in the 14th century. Inside, it contains a memorial to Sir Thomas Freke – an English merchant adventurer and politician who rebuilt the church’s nave and aisles at the turn of the 17th century.
In the mid-18th century, Hambledon Hill was even used by General Wolfe, who trained his troops on its hills before his victory over the French at the Battle of the Plains of Abraham in Quebec.
Shroton is a pretty, peaceful village and has also been known by the name Iwerne Courtney. It’s understood that the village’s original medieval pub was bought by Dorset brewery Hall & Woodhouse in the early-20th century and demolished to make way for the current redbrick building.
At around the same time they created a garden for the pub by purchasing land from two of the neighbouring properties. The result is a lovely secluded garden which is tucked away at the side of the pub between two rows of medieval cottages.
The pub was sold in the mid-late 20th century and, as the new owners started to develop a food trade, by the 1990s it had become renowned not only for its setting and well-kept beers, but also for its food.
To this day, The Cricketers remains a favourite destination not only for locals but also amongst weary walkers and hungry travellers passing by.